Friday, July 13, 2012

The making of The World's Most Fashionable Prison

Three years ago, i got a call from a Singaporean producer  Mak Chun Kit, asking me if they can feature me for a documentary about my Fashion and Arts project at the New Bilibid Prison and of course i said yes. After a year(before my controversy), They came for a short visit to follow me and document what i do and how i interact with my students in Bilibid and took footages. And they came up with a very interesting trailer for them to show to some big producers in London and in Singapore.


And finally, December of 2010 they told me that they are pushing through with the film. A full length documentary and i got nervous at the same time excited! Then the nightmare came in February(2011) and after that i thought i lost this project as well(for i lost a lot of projects, clients and fashion shows). I emailed Mak and i told him something happened to me blah blah but i didn't tell him the details but i had a feeling that they knew already. So, the shoot was set to september last year(2011)( for them to able to film our yearly Project Bilibid Runway to coincide during the National Correctional Consciousness Week from oct 24-30, 2011).  

They came and i was nervous coz that time i was kinda fragile pa and my mood swings were really bad and i always get depressed. And we had a pre-production meeting at my place and before the meeting started, i told them that before we start the filming I need to tell you something...I told them the blow by blow details of what happened to me..and the kept quiet after..at the back of my mind is saying "shit i am dead again!" i thought they're going to backout na.. But i was surprised when Mak said "Don't worry puey, we know everything, we've been following on whats happening to you and it's ok. It's actually good thing that, that thing happened so that the film will have heart and it makes the film more realistic''. And at the back of my mind  i was cursing them! (seriously?! WTF!! good for the film but you just don't know how painful and hard that controversy!!) but of course i didn't say that infront of them. hehe

And then the camera started rolling..and rolling.. and rolling in to the deep like Adele! 

 Every year, since i started my project in bilibid, we always have a project runway ''sort of'' concept fashion show, sabay sa National Correctional Consciousness Week in cooperation with The Bureau Of Corrections and The Department Of Justice. 

And our Theme was "From the Scrap''. I asked from my fellow designers their retazos and yun ang pinagawa kong mga damit sa students ko. We also have 3 categories casual, avant garde, and evening wear. I divided my students in to four groups and each group will make the 3 categories. I asked my Stylist friend Ram De Vera to guide the inmates on how to make or polish their collection. 
I gave them one month to finish their entries and a benefactor donated sewing machines and other sewing needs during the competition. Thanks to her. 

Here are some photos of my students at work:

 Mang Ernesto Sketching.

 I'm teaching them on how to use a portable sewing machine.

 Student's draping


 Figuring out the machine.

 I was telling jay to change this dress kasi mukhang mamon! hehe

 Ram being the Tim Gunn!

Pattern Making

Tucking.

 This blouse reminds me of Kate..very Kate Torralba diba? Winner ito sa casaul wear!

Jay sewing.

 Avant Garde group 3

 Avant Garde Group 2

 Avant Garde Group 4(winner)

 Casual Group 4(winner)

 Casual group 3( my personal favorite)

 Casual Group 1

 Evening wear Group 2(winner)

Evening Wear Group 3

Mike Alvir accepting his Plaque of Appreciation for his Valuable support and contribution to the success of Puey Quinones Project Bilibid Runway. 


 Casual wear winner accepting their Prize.

Evening wear winner! 

 And WE WON AN AWARD ALSO!! Gold Kahuna Award as best documentary at the Hawaii Film Awards 2012, Official selection to HOTDOCs, Athens,60*N, Bologna, and Ohio! For the meantime, the film is on tour around the world. I haven't seen it either! Hopefully soon! 


This is the TRAILER


Thank you to the people who helped this show possible. The Donors, models, make up artists, production team, The bureau of Correction, DOJ, my students, UP boys, Lamb of God, London and Singapore Documentary Crew(mak, tom, nathan and allan) See you again soon!

LOVE AND PEACE

-PUEY-




No comments:

Post a Comment